I have been busy solving some issues and started creating modular stair pieces. And now I am texturing my wall and floor pieces and attempting to do magical things in the material editor..
I wouldn't have been able to do it without this guy
and also this guy http://www.andrewklein.net/ai/d3denv01.html
and also @Mike_Isaakidis (UDK Master)
The Material Editor
.. I have learnt about some different nodes in the material editor and had to write a few things about a Lerp Node as I just wasn't really getting it and this is what I have learnt. This is some information I wrote collected from andrew klein's website in very basic form order to get my head around it:
The colour channel that is plugged into the alpha input controls the amount of black or white in the alpha.
Input A represents the black value
Input B represents the white value
If a red channel controls the alpha and is painted at 100%, (fully white), the texture in input B will be at full opacity.
Default value is 100% white for all the red, green and blue vertex colours. If you want a certain texture to show up first, make sure it is plugged into the B input (fully white).
I have been doing this with a few nodes just because it helps it to sink in more. The material editor is a scary place but I will keep researching to improve my understanding of it.
So after watching some video tutorials and a bit of raging here is what I have come up with so far..
In order to get this result..
Obviously it needs a lot more work.. I need to get the tiles to pop up more by using a height and displacement maps and need to make it seem as if the bits of sand and dirt are appearing between the tiles with a fall-off rather than on top of them so this is the next task.
The material for the walls looks exactly the same using the vertex colour blending technique, I just replaced the textures. This is what it looks like so far.
As you can see I also need to add height maps to this and try to get a shadow where the texture changes from concrete to brick so it makes more sense. I also get this wierd grid line appearing so I need to sort that out too.
I am still deciding whether I like concrete over brick better than metal over rust. My original idea was a metallic bunker but I think I am liking concrete more, I will keep experimenting until I decide anyway.
Since my last post I have sorted out the issues with the static meshes not connecting properly and it turned out I had some of the verices ever so slightly off the grid point in Maya so it threw everything off.
The height of my control room has changed also to make it seem bigger, I will be using a lot of lighting techniques to add to this effect as well.
I realised when texturing as well that my UV layout is not the best so I have been applying checkerboard textures to my meshes in order to test them in Maya to make sure they match up before re-importing them into UDK.
I have now also added a collision mesh to everything so you can no longer walk through walls, fall into the abyss etc.. which is great. I didn't know how to do this before but these are the steps:
1. Create a basic cube in Maya
2. Place it where you want collision to be
3. Rename it to UCX_(thenameofthemesh)_01
4. Export both the original mesh and the collision as the same .fbx file and your mesh should automatically have the new collision when imported into UDK.
You can also have more than one collision cube when creating in Maya just rename it _02, _03 etc.. Next Job Keep adding and improving the materials for the floors and walls and work on the stair pieces.